The One Thing I Do Know


Sometimes I wish I had definitive answers about myself. I’d love to know how I process information and why; what parts from my mom and what parts from my dad plus any parts God make me think the way I do. Rod Bramblett, voice of the Auburn Tigers, and his wife Paula were killed in a car accident this weekend. The news hit me like a depth charge; I waited for confirmation of the worst news and then I read a ton of comments about how people were mourning the event or retweeting Rod’s historic call of the Kick Six, Chris Davis’ 108 yd return for the most improbably satisfying Auburn victory over Alabama that anyone may ever see in their lifetime or the next. Some people shared pictures of them with Rod. Some people shared memories or stories of what a kind, nice man Rod was and what an amazing couple the Brambletts were. Some lamented the two children, both young adults, the Brambletts unexpectedly left behind. Some shared they were crying to the point of sickness. Me? I noted that it was a tragic loss. That’s it. I didn’t know what else to say.

On the face of it, there is plenty I could say about Rod Bramblett. I remember when Jim Fyffe passed away in 2003. Jim was and is considered an Auburn legend, among many things he was famous for enthusiastically yelling “TOUCHDOWN AUBURN!” after an Auburn score. Rod knew he was replacing a legend and wanted to honor him, so the very first touchdown Auburn scored to start the 2003 season Rod was to yell “TOUCHDOWN AUBURN!” Auburn didn’t score a touchdown until the THIRD GAME of that year. Third! I think the team was still mourning old Jim and didn’t want to let go. Those needs were unfounded. We were in great hands.

I could mention that in 2003 I was stationed at Vandenberg Air Force Base in lovely Lompoc, CA. From there I moved several other places, the Air Force is great for that, and if I weren’t able to catch Auburn on TV I was listening on radio. Any football game I remember going to in person was accompanied by listening to Rod and company on Auburn Sports radio before and after the game. This applies to any baseball and basketball games I listened to as well. Rod was there. 

I personally enjoyed Rod’s professionalism. People called him a homer and being the voice of the Auburn Tigers he absolutely was supposed to be a homer for Auburn, but I bet anyone listening would appreciated how Rod called the game. Always accurately described the action, always keeping a healthy amount of respect for the opponent, always showing love and respect to whatever Auburn team he was discussing at that time, even if Auburn was stinking out loud at the time. I don’t recall him cursing, not even once. Having watched hours and hours of Auburn athletics I can tell you that in itself was a Herculean feat!

Rod had the fortune of being able to call, in early 2011, the final play of the college football season where Auburn was lined up for a field goal to win its first national championship in 53 years. I still remember how happy he sounded as he said “AUBURN WIIINNNSSS!” Through good times and bad, Auburn had a steady, unflagging voice at the helm. And now he’s gone. 

In addition to wanting to know exactly how and why I process things the way I do I would also love to know why tragic things happen to amazing people. Rod and his wife clearly provided goodness and joy to thousands, if not tens of thousands, if not more. On the other side of this tragedy there is a 16 year old who will live with the weight of what happened for the rest of his life. I cannot imagine the survivor’s guilt and my heart goes out to that young person. I’d love to know why someone so young has to carry that weight for so long.

A part of life is knowing there are some things you’ll never know. I’ll be grateful for having Rod Bramblett in my ears for most of my adult life. I’ll say a prayer for his family and to the young man who survived the accident. Life will move on. That’s the one thing I do know.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to the Experience

Five Years at FTW - Lessons Learned

Clerks