Out There

I wonder what it is about getting older that makes you care less in a good way. I'll explain in my long, meandering way.

I have always liked to sing and have since forever. But no one knew it except maybe, like, Mom and a close friend or two. I'm not saying I should have some solo career or anything like that. Hell no. I meandered from the meandering. I'd sing with friends or in my room but that was it. I worked up the courage to sing at karaoke when I was 24. It took me being completely drunk to get up in front of people and sing "Inside Out" by Eve 6.

40 year old me wonders what the fuss was about. Even if I absolutely sucked and ruined the song the people listening got what they paid for. No one's life was at stake. I just took myself way too seriously. Many people do. Once I decided to care less, things got a ton better. Even better, it makes me feel pretty good to get up and sing a song a really like and if I do a good job? Even better. If someone tells me I did a good job? Even better! It's sharing a love and desire with other people and maybe I made someone's night a little happier. I can dig that.

I'm doing the same thing with podcasting. Thanks to one of my best friends in life I started podcasting on "The Longbox Crusade". It's four dudes talking about comic books. I have read comic books since I was eight! I never would have thought anyone would want to hear me talk about what I do and don't know or like about Spider-Man and yet, here we are.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-longbox-crusade/id1118783510?mt=2&i=1000393867924

Just in case you wanted to listen, I linked the latest episode.

If I have a message here, try something you've always wanted to. 99% of the time the worst that could happen is you sucked at it and got embarrassed. If you're alive to talk about it, you learned. And Lord, there aren't many things we start off as at an expert level. Quit taking yourself so seriously and get out there!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to the Experience

Five Years at FTW - Lessons Learned

Clerks