Tapped Out

With jiu-jitsu there is a certainty: if you get on the mats to roll, eventually you will get tapped out. There ain't a person alive who has chosen to learn the art that hasn't tapped many, many times. I tapped out yesterday. On the mats, no less. Just not the conventional way.

This new school I'm in, man. I knew coming in that a school being run by a black belt was going to be run differently than a school run by a purple belt or a brown belt. How so?

Well, a black belt will generally have more experience than any other person on the mat. It also means, if that black belt had been in the area a while, he's training people and those people get better as well. People who move into the area want to come where a black belt is to learn how to train. So by the time a lowly white belt such as myself comes to this established school run by a black belt who happened to be trained by a person who is basically a founding father of jiu-jitsu? You are gonna get WORKED.

The last few weeks have been tough. I have not been able to consistently train all year so it's like learning to ride a bike all over again but you used to have a ten speed and now you're learning how to ride a Harley.

So last night with about 10 minutes left of two hours of training I tapped and could not continue training. I don't know if that's ever happened before. This new class is intense but I'm personally embarrassed. I pride myself on being in good enough shape to withstand any condition and thus move I made, learning a new job, establishing new places to workout and most importantly not keeping up with my diet has left me in a bad spot.

The encouraging thing is I'm on my way back. I'm super happy to be back in jiu-jitsu again and I'm back lifting weights too. I'm also starting my intermittent fasting too. You can't keep a good guy down too long.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to the Experience

Five Years at FTW - Lessons Learned

Clerks