Joiner

If you ever want someone to join something you gotta give them a win to start.

Years ago my roommate Jeremy wanted me to play EverQuest. I didn't want to play EverQuest. Jeremy, who speaks approximately 14 words a day, wasted about half of those to stress how he really wanted me to play because it would be fun. I still didn't want to play. Next day, 7 more words. He really wanted this and I really didn't so I decided a clever way to get him off my back:

"Fine. I'll play EverQuest if you watch wrestling with me, Raw and Smackdown." Jeremy went silent.  I had him.

What, I can't watch wrestling because I'm a grown man with no kids? Pfft. Don't judge me.

Anyway, Jeremy didn't want to watch wrestling, I knew it. So I won. Time passes. It's the following Monday and I'm about to watch RAW. I smile to myself because no Jeremy. Then I hear footsteps coming down the stairs. It's Jeremy. Jeremy, who takes a seat on the other end of the couch. Jeremy, who watched all 2 hours of the show and then came down on Thursday (maybe Friday, Smackdown had changed its days a few times) and watched the whole thing. I don't even remember what the show was about, I was too stunned.

The following Monday I tell Jeremy, "Well, I guess since you lived up to your end of the bargain I'll go out and buy EverQuest." Jeremy replies, "Oh, I already bought online, it should be here by tomorrow."

I got played. But I did get a win to start my EverQuest career of the next few years.

You know what? I was gonna talk about fantasy football but that's a good enough story for next time. If I remember. I'll get to it one day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to the Experience

Five Years at FTW - Lessons Learned

Clerks