Broken

I'm starting writing this at a bar in Charlotte. A friend invited me out for drinks but he's presently distracted by another friend of his who will be a groomsman in my friend's wedding in South Africa. South Africa seems like a balla place to have a wedding. Anyway...

The reason this friend of a friend is proving to be a distraction is because the friend of a friend has revelaed that he's not ok. It's not really my place to say why he's not ok. But he feels that he's starting to lose grip on the things that matter in his life and he's worried that everyday things an average person might take for granted he's going to start losing. Things like driving. Maybe, things like relationships.

I did offer my words of encouragement but I know that this fight isn't mine to fight. I am really struck though, not by the friend of a friend but just in general: we are all broken.

Literally everyone you see is hiding some pain small or some pain severe. And they're just walking along and you'll never know it. You won't know their story or their grief and they are still broken all the same. This makes me incredibly sad.

At my best, I view myself as a fixer. That's what a leader is supposed to be: you take a thing or a person to a place or and idea and you make it better. You constantly think about minutiae. You live and breathe improvement for this thing you've dedicated your life to. Imagine how I feel to know what I just realized. I can't fix everyone. I can't even fix everyone I've met.

I hope one day we as a people realize that literally everyone we see is broken. We would all be so much nicer to each other. We all share grief and loss and heartache. We should be helping each other get better from that and instead we choose to tear each other apart.

Heavy thinking at a bar, I know. Be good to each other, y'all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to the Experience

Five Years at FTW - Lessons Learned

Clerks